Most people don’t usually start thinking about their taxes until January. However, it’s not too early to start now. In fact, taxpayers can get ready for the upcoming tax filing season by doing a few simple things.
These steps include:
- Organizing tax records
- Checking withholding and making adjustments or tax payments
- Renewing an expired individual taxpayer identification number
IRS.gov tools and resources help taxpayers understand their tax obligations and filing options. Aside from English, taxpayers will find info in several other languages on IRS.gov. They will find it under the language drop-down menu at the top of each page.
Here are some of the pages taxpayers can visit now to help them get ready for filing:
- Electronic filing options for individuals: Filing electronically is easy, safe and the most accurate way to file taxes. There are several free electronic filing options for most taxpayers. Taxpayers can electronically file using IRS Free File or Fillable Forms.
- Let Us Help You: This page features links to
information and resources on a wide range of tax topics.
- Free tax return preparation for qualifying taxpayers: Taxpayers can also consider having their tax returns prepared at a Volunteer Income Tax Assistance or Tax Counseling for the Elderly site. The IRS and its community partners are looking for people around the country to become IRS-certified volunteers. Many IRS partners are still accepting new volunteers to join one of these programs for the 2020 filing season.