Bureau of Cannabis Control Emergency Regulations CODE OF REGULATIONS TITLE 16 DIVISION
§ 5002. Annual License Application Requirements
(a) Applications may be completed and submitted online at www.bcc.ca.gov or completed in hard
copy and submitted by delivering a printed copy to the Bureau’s office(s).
(b) Applicants who submit their applications online shall first register for a user account. To
register for a user account, the applicant shall do all of the following:
(1) Create a user name, password, and security question and answer;
(2) Provide an email address; and
(3) Provide the owner’s first and last name, primary phone number, social security number or
individual taxpayer identification number, date of birth, and mailing address.
(c) An application must be completed by an owner as defined by section 5003 of this division.
An application must be submitted to the Bureau for each location and each license type. An
application for an annual cannabis license includes the following:
(1) The name of the applicant. For applicants who are individuals, the applicant shall provide
both the first and last name of the individual. For applicants who are business entities, the
applicant shall provide the legal business name of the applicant.
(2) If applicable, the business trade name (“DBA”) of the applicant.
(3) The commercial cannabis license that the applicant is applying for, and whether the applicant
is requesting that the license be designated as medicinal, adult-use, or both. Testing laboratory
applicants do not have to designate medicinal or adult-use, as testing laboratory licenses allow
the holder to test both medicinal and adult-use cannabis.
(4) Payment of an application fee pursuant to section 5014 of this division.
(5) Whether the owner is serving or has previously served in the military. Disclosure of military
service is voluntary. An applicant who has served as an active duty member of the Armed Forces
of the United States and was honorably discharged and who can provide evidence of such
honorable discharge shall have his or her application expedited pursuant to Business and
Professions Code section 115.4.
(6) A list of the license types and the license numbers issued from the Bureau and all other state
cannabis licensing authorities that the applicant holds, including the date the license was issued
and the licensing authority that issued the license.
(7) Whether the applicant has been denied a license or has had a license suspended or revoked by
the Bureau or any other state cannabis licensing authority. The applicant shall provide the type of
license applied for, the name of the licensing authority that denied the application, and the date
(8) The physical address of the premises.
(9) The mailing address for the applicant, if different from the premises address.
(10) The telephone number for the premises.
(11) The website address and email address of the applicant’s business.
(12) The business’ federal employer identification number.
(13) Contact information for the applicant’s designated primary contact person including the
name, title, phone number, and email address of the individual.
(14) A description of the business organizational structure of the applicant, such as partnership or
(15) The business-formation documents, which may include, but are not limited to, articles of
incorporation, operating agreements, partnership agreements, and fictitious business name
statements. The applicant shall also provide all documents filed with the California Secretary of
State, which may include, but are not limited to, articles of incorporation, certificates of stock,
articles of organization, certificates of limited partnership, and statements of partnership
authority. If the commercial cannabis business is held in trust, the applicant shall provide a copy
of the trust.
(16) A list of every fictitious business name the applicant is operating under including the
address where the business is located.
(17) A commercial cannabis business that is a foreign corporation shall include in its application
the certificate of qualification issued by the Secretary of State of California.
(18) The applicant shall supply the following financial information:
(A) A list of funds belonging to the applicant held in savings, checking, or other accounts
maintained by a financial institution. The applicant shall provide, for each account, the financial institution’s name, the financial institution’s address, account type, account number, and the
amount of money in the account.
(B) A list of loans made to the applicant. For each loan, the applicant shall provide the amount of
the loan, the date of the loan, term(s) of the loan, security provided for the loan, and the name,
address, and phone number of the lender.
(C) A list of investments made into the applicant’s commercial cannabis business. For each
investment, the applicant shall provide the amount of the investment, the date of the investment,
term(s) of the investment, and the name, address, and phone number of the investor.
(D) A list of all gifts of any kind given to the applicant for its use in conducting commercial
cannabis activity. For each gift, the applicant shall provide the value of the gift or description of
the gift, and the name, address, and phone number of the provider of the gift.
(19) A complete list of every individual who has a financial interest in the commercial cannabis
business as defined in section 5004 of this division, who is not an owner as defined in Business
and Professions Code section 26001(al).
(20) A complete list of every owner of the applicant as defined in Business and Professions Code
section 26001(al). Each individual named on this list shall submit the following information:
(A) The full name of the owner.
(B) The owner’s title within the applicant entity.
(C) The owner’s date of birth and place of birth.
(D) The owner’s social security number or individual taxpayer identification number.
(E) The owner’s mailing address.
(F) The owner’s telephone number. This may include a number for the owner’s home, business,
or mobile telephone.
(G) The owner’s email address.
(H) The owner’s current employer.
(I) The percentage of the ownership interest held in the applicant entity by the owner.
(J) Whether the owner has an ownership or a financial interest as defined in sections 5003 and
5004, respectively, of this division in any other commercial cannabis business licensed under the
(K) A copy of the owner’s government-issued identification. Acceptable forms of identification
are a document issued by a federal, state, county, or municipal government that includes the
name, date of birth, physical description, and picture of the person, such as a driver license.
(L) A detailed description of the owner’s convictions. A conviction within the meaning of this
section means a plea or verdict of guilty or a conviction following a plea of nolo contendere.
Convictions dismissed under Penal Code section 1203.4 or equivalent non-California law must
be disclosed. Convictions dismissed under Health and Safety Code section 11361.8 or equivalent
non-California law must be disclosed. Juvenile adjudications and traffic infractions under $300
that did not involve alcohol, dangerous drugs, or controlled substances do not need to be
included. For each conviction, the owner shall provide the following:
(i) The date of conviction.
(ii) Dates of incarceration, if applicable.
(iii) Dates of probation, if applicable.
(iv) Dates of parole, if applicable.
(v) A detailed description of the offense for which the owner was convicted.
(vi) A statement of rehabilitation for each conviction. The statement of rehabilitation is to be
written by the owner and may contain evidence that the owner would like the Bureau to consider
that demonstrates the owner’s fitness for licensure. Supporting evidence may be attached to the
statement of rehabilitation and may include, but is not limited to, a certificate of rehabilitation
under Penal Code section 4852.01, and dated letters of reference from employers, instructors, or
professional counselors that contain valid contact information for the individual providing the
(M) If applicable, a detailed description of any suspension of a commercial cannabis license,
revocation of a commercial cannabis license, or sanctions for unlicensed commercial cannabis
activity by a licensing authority or local agency against the applicant or a business entity in
which the applicant was an owner or officer within the three years immediately preceding the
date of the application.
(N) Attestation to the following statement: Under penalty of perjury, I hereby declare that the
information contained within and submitted with the application is complete, true, and accurate. I
understand that a misrepresentation of fact is cause for rejection of this application, denial of the
license, or revocation of a license issued.
(21) Evidence that the applicant has the legal right to occupy and use the proposed location that
complies with section 5007 of this division.
(22) Evidence that the proposed premises is in compliance with Business and Professions Code
(23) For an applicant with 20 or more employees, the applicant shall attest that the applicant has
entered into a labor peace agreement and will abide by the terms of the agreement. For applicants
who have not yet entered into a labor peace agreement, the applicant shall provide a notarized
statement indicating that the applicant will enter into and abide by the terms of a labor peace
agreement as soon as reasonably practicable after licensure.
(24) The applicant shall provide a valid seller’s permit number issued by the California
Department of Tax and Fee Administration, if applicable. If the applicant has not yet received a seller’s permit, the applicant shall attest that the applicant is currently applying for a seller’s
(25) A diagram of the premises as required by section 5006 of this division.
(26) Proof of a bond as required by section 5008 of this division.
(27) For testing laboratory applications, the certificate(s) of accreditation as required by section
5702 of this division, or the information required for a provisional license as required by section
5703 of this division.
(28) When an applicant provides a license, permit, or other authorization from the local
jurisdiction where the licensed premises will be or is located, the Bureau will notify the
applicable local jurisdiction to confirm the validity of the authorization. If the local jurisdiction
does not respond within 10 calendar days, the Bureau shall consider the authorization valid.
(29) All licensee applications shall include a detailed description of the applicant’s operating
procedures including the following (if applicable):
(A) Transportation Procedures
(i) A description of the applicant’s procedure for transportation of cannabis goods, including
whether or not the applicant will be transporting cannabis goods or contracting for transportation
(B) Inventory Procedures
(i) A description of the applicant’s procedure for receiving shipments of inventory.
(ii) Where the applicant’s inventory will be stored on the premises and how records of the
inventory will be maintained.
(iii) The applicant’s procedure for performing inventory reconciliation and for ensuring that
inventory records are accurate.
(C) Non-Laboratory Quality Control Procedures
(i) The applicant’s procedures for preventing the deterioration of cannabis goods held by the
(ii) The applicant’s procedures for ensuring that cannabis goods are properly packaged and
labeled prior to retail sale.
(iii) The applicant’s procedures for ensuring that a licensed testing laboratory samples and
analyzes cannabis goods held by the applicant.
(D) Security Procedures
(i) The applicant’s procedure for allowing individuals access to the premise
(ii) A description of the applicant’s video surveillance system, including camera placement and
procedures for the maintenance of video surveillance equipment.
(iii) How the applicant will ensure that all access points to the premises will be secured,
including the use of security personnel.
(iv) A description of the applicant’s security alarm system.
(E) Cannabis Waste Procedures
(i) The applicant’s procedure for disposing of cannabis waste, including whether the applicant
will be using a local agency or waste hauler permitted by a local agency or self-hauling the waste
to a solid waste facility. If the applicant will be using a local agency or waste hauler permitted by
a local agency, the applicant shall include the information required under section 5055(e)(1).
(ii) The applicant’s procedure for composting cannabis waste on the licensed premises, if
(iii) How the applicant will ensure that all access to cannabis waste is restricted to the licensee
and its employees, and the local agency or waste hauler franchised, contracted, or permitted by a
(F) Delivery Procedures
(i) The applicant’s procedures for accepting orders and processing orders.
(ii) The applicant’s procedures for confirming the age and identity of the customer receiving the
delivery and verifying that the address for delivery meets the requirements of section 5416 of
(iii) The applicant’s procedure for delivering cannabis goods, including the vehicles and Global
Positioning System devices that will be used.
(30) For applicants applying for a microbusiness license, the application shall include a detailed
description of the applicant’s operating procedures required by this section for each cannabis
activity the applicant intends to engage in.
(31) For applicants applying for a testing laboratory license, in addition to the operating
procedures required under subsection (c)(29) of this section, the standard application shall
include the operating procedures required by chapter 6 of this division.
(32) The limited waiver of sovereign immunity required by section 5009 of this division, if
(33) Evidence of exemption from, or compliance with, the California Environmental Quality Act
as required by section 5010.
Authority: Sections 115.4 and 26013, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 115.4,
144 and 26051.5, Business and Professions Code.