§ 5704. Sampling Standard Operating Procedures
(a) The laboratory shall develop and implement a sampling standard operating procedure (SOP)
that describes the laboratory’s method for obtaining representative samples of cannabis and cannabis product.
(b) The sampling SOP shall include the following information:
(1) A procedure for obtaining samples of each matrix type the laboratory samples, and
(2) A procedure for the collection of samples to perform homogeneity analysis of edible cannabis
(c) The sampling SOP shall specify that during sampling, the sampler shall, at minimum:
(1) Follow the laboratory’s sampling SOP;
(2) Ensure that the sampling area is free of contaminants;
(3) Sanitize sampling tools between each batch;
(4) Use disposable gloves and change gloves between each batch;
(5) Weigh samples to within 0.1 gram of accuracy using a calibrated balance;
(6) Collect representative sample from each batch;
(7) Place the sample in a container capable of preventing degradation or contamination and seal
the sample container with tamper-evident material;
(8) Assign a unique sample identifier to both the primary and field duplicate samples;
(9) Record on the sample field log the conditions under which the sample is transported and stored;
(10) Follow chain of custody protocols; and
(11) Complete the sample field log.
(d) The supervisory or management laboratory employee shall review, approve, sign, and date
the sampling SOP and each revision thereto.
(e) The laboratory shall retain a copy of the sampling SOP on the laboratory premises and ensure
that the sampling SOP is accessible to the sampler during sampling.
Authority: Section 26013, Business and Professions Code. Reference: Sections 26100, 26102,
26104 and 26110, Business and Professions Code.