BioTrackTHC Update for Adult-Use Sales, California
Dear California Partners,
We hope you’re all ready and gearing up for a historic January 1st! We’re so excited to see California begin adult-use and we want you to know that we’re here to help you through it! As we quickly approach January 1st, there are some steps you’ll need to perform in your BioTrackTHC to be prepared for adult-use sales. We highly recommend completing these changes ASAP as we will have limited support on 12/31 and 1/1 for the holiday; please ensure you set aside 2-3 hours to complete these changes in case you run into any issues.
You only need to complete these changes if you plan on participating in adult-use sales.
If you are planning on participating in recreational, adult-use sales, you’ll need to set up separate medical and recreational locations within your BioTrackTHC to allow for unique tax rates for each sale type; by default, the inventories will then be separated. Additionally, we’ve received a variety of questions related to the California Cannabis Track and Trace system, METRC; we’ve included a link to the CDFA’s Frequently Asked Questions list below that should address your concerns.
How do I ensure my taxes are set up for both medical and adult-use sales?
As you likely know, medical and adult-use cannabis will each have their own unique tax rates. In order to ensure you’re collecting the proper tax amounts for both types of sales, you will need to create two locations in your BioTrackTHC; one for medical and one for adult-use. This will allow you to keep two separate inventories within your system and thus, two unique “Tax Standard” rates. To do this, please follow the steps below:
We recommend that you complete these changes ASAP as we will have limited support on 12/31 and 1/1 for the holiday. Please set aside 2-3 hours to complete these changes.
· Navigate to the “Administration” dropdown, then “Locations”>”Edit Locations”
· Next, click “New” in the Locations window:
· Once clicked, the fields will reset and you can fill out the necessary information; the only two required fields are “Name” and “Type”. We recommend simply naming them “Medical” and “Recreational” or “Adult-Use” and selecting the “Dispensary” type for both locations.
· Finally, click “Save”
Next, you’ll need to enable Location Data Sharing so your inventories sync. To do this:
· Navigate to the “Administration” dropdown, then, “Locations”>”Data Sharing”. The Data Sharing window will allow you to check off which data sets are shared across your medical and adult-use locations within your system.
· Once you’ve selected your shared data sets that you desire, click “OK”:
Now that you’ve created two separate locations within your BioTrackTHC and the inventories have synced, you’ll need to modify the “Tax Standard” category to accurately reflect the tax rates for each medical and recreational location.
· You’ll need to perform these steps twice; once in each location within your system.
· In each recreational and your medical location, navigate to the “Inventory” tab and click on the “Tax Categories” (on the right hand side) button to reach this window:
· Next, from the “Existing Tax Categories” dropdown, select “Tax Standard”
· Then, you’ll need to modify your city/state/excise tax rate for each location; medical and recreational.
· Finally, click save.
If done correctly, this should create a new tax category for all inventory in the location which you performed the change. Again, you need to complete this twice to make sure everything is accurate; once in your medical location and once in your recreational location.For more information on changing your tax categories, click here.
Will I be expected to report to METRC starting January 1?
No. METRC, California’s Cannabis Track and Trace system, is not ready yet. We will keep you updated on the CCTT-METRC progress and will be prepared to launch our BioTrackTHC METRC Integration as soon as it is needed. If you hold a temporary license, you are still expected to maintain accurate and detailed records of your businesses cannabis activity and must be able to present that information upon request.
If you have any other questions or are in need of technical/training support, please contact us. Additionally, we will have limited support on 12/31 and 1/1 for the holiday, so please plan accordingly.